Chainsaw Collectors.se

Chainsaw Collectors.se

This is a international forum in Eng.

It is currently Oct 30th, '14, 16:06

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Jonsered 520 SP fixed
PostPosted: Mar 7th, '12, 00:24 
Guardian Of Saws

My faithful old 520 SP i renovated some years ago, got a new piston ring then. But it has never ran really well since then, and it has not been used much. Carb was fixed, new filter new fuel lines most things checked, to no avail. Running good cold and always on idle, but when getting warm loosing power and starting to run lean. Tonight I decided to tear it down to try to find the reason.

After taking the cylinder off I believe I found the problem, the impulse line, which on this one is a rubber hose. It goes down into the crank case in a hole below the carb fitting. It is almost hopeless to replace without lifting the jug, as you cant see and there is no room to push the hose into the hole. It had got folded and flattened. I believe it is consistent with the symptoms, the hose is almost flat and when it gets warm it goes softer and at the vacuum phase it is sucked together.

It remains to see, when I can run the saw a good while in wood, but it sounded better than ever when I started it briefly, fourstroked a bit more than it should, as I naturally had tried to give it a bit more.

Would be very happy if it will run well again, it is one of the really good saws for light work, well balanced, light and normally extremely reliable. But I need new chain and sprocket before I can use it. The chain was almost done, and after the last job I did it was ended. I cut pine roots in the ground when I was building a little extension to my shed.

Post subject: Re: Jonsered 520 SP fixed
PostPosted: Mar 7th, '12, 01:53 
Dr. Pignon

I got one of those Jonsereds 520 SP saws about five or six years ago. It was a freebie from an old local rancher. Externally, it looks good, but I never did get it running right. Didn't try real hard, just cleaned it up in and out, put a new plug and fuel line in it, cleaned the air filter and fired it up!!!... cough!... hack!... sputter!... gasp!... roooaar!!!!... cough!... gasp!... sputter!... I drained all the fuel totally and set it on a shelf... I've always kinda figured them as a Jonsereds equivalent to an XL12, more or less...
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1409&p=9533&hilit=Jonsereds#p9533
I'm glad you mentioned that impulse line. :cool:
Someday when I have free time to tinker, I'll re-check the old baby... and remember this thread!!
Please post lots of detailed pix, Thor-Stun, so I'll know exactly what to look for! :clap:

PostPosted: Mar 7th, '12, 07:20 
Administrator

510 was last out before Elux got involved and said what to make what of.
Jonsereds made good saws, 510 was not the best, but at the time very good. 520/525/535 are better.

Impulse line can be a pain. I try to save springs to have over hose to let it keep shape.
Some if the cheapest pens have springs that fit inside that help hose keep shape when bent. Inside is best, but outside work too.

I think you run out of sparks, Ken. Disconnect kill switch wire by coil and try again.

PostPosted: Mar 7th, '12, 10:22 
Guardian Of Saws

I searched my old pics and found a couple, I'll try to take some more Ken to show where that kinky line is. The kill switch was bust in mine so I replaced it with a small general switch. Another tricky thing is the rubber attachment for the carb, held in place with a wire clamp, which is pure frustration to get in place.

Also this saw is a bit special to take apart. When you loosen the four screws holding the cylinder, you also loosen the upper part of the crank case, which is split horisontally, not vertically in the middle. In a way convenient, because you can just lift the crank out of the case after freeing the piston and lifting off the upper part.

Here's an old picture of the stripped body:
Attachment:
hus.jpg

In this you see where the impulse line enters the crank case upper part.
Attachment:
Start2.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mar 7th, '12, 15:35 

Hello,
that's an unusual design for a pro saw ! A bit like on many farmer and customer grade saws, except of the fact the rest of the saw body is made of plastic...is it a kind of typicall for the more last "true" Jonsered 50cc pro saws ? 2051, 2054 and 2055 also are designed that way, aren't they ?
The jonsered 2150 still uses that design, it has a plastic body, but still a separate upper crankcase half to use the normal 2152 cylinder :wink:
At the Moment i have a Jonsered 490 half a dozen other Partner 5000 series saws, but i'm looking forward to get a 520 or 535...just curious how they compare :cool:
Max

PostPosted: Mar 7th, '12, 15:51 
Guardian Of Saws

Would say so, yes, not the common design. This one is all metal crankcase, I've no experience of those 20xx Jonesys. Remember my astonishment the first time i should take off the cylinder and got a good chunk of crankcase too. But it is a very serviceable design I think, you don't have those case halves that should be separated.

Needs engine silicon at remassembling to get it tight, a gasket below the cylinder but none at the split in the crankcase.

This is a really fine saw for light forestry work, also strong enough for firewoodcutting in a moderate scale, very good all purpose saw in it's class, 49 cc. :love: Mine has an 8 cog sprocket so it has rather fast chain speed, perfect for limbing and cutting small stuff. This, as Magnus told is made after Jonsered was acquired by E-lux but still has the feelng of the strong durable old ones, lot of grunt and not only relying on high rpm:s.

PostPosted: Mar 7th, '12, 19:28 
Dr. Pignon

Magnus wrote:
510 was last out before Elux got involved and said what to make what of. Jonsereds made good saws, 510 was not the best, but at the time very good. 520/525/535 are better.

I have thought that if Jonsereds made the saw it has the "s" on the end of the name, and if Elux made the saw (or owned the company) it doesn't. Is that true?
When did they drop the final "s"... what model?
Note that my 520 SP has the "s" on the end on the decals.

PostPosted: Mar 7th, '12, 20:53 
Administrator

Yes, Ken that is sort of accurate.
Motomax. You got it backwards. This is a true Jonsered as well as it can be expexted but this 520 was made after Elux bought Jonsereds. After that the Jonsereds mentality was kind of let go...
SP stands for Semi Pro, It is a good farmer saw type. Not Pro, but close.
525/535 was considered pro saws I think...

PostPosted: Mar 7th, '12, 23:35 
Guardian Of Saws

Mine is called "Jonsered" without trailing "s", it is from the last year this model was made, 1984, serial 016684.

I would think that the change in the name was maybe decided a little while after the acqusition maybe, so the earlier of the model was still "Jonsereds", but that is my speculation. In general it is as Magnus says, it is sort of accurate that Elux came in and the "s" went out.

Would be interesting to know the year and cereal numberness of yours Ken.

PostPosted: Mar 8th, '12, 03:14 
Dr. Pignon

Totte, when I find where I stored it I'll check the serial number, photo the tag and post in this thread. Might take me a few days... I've got saws stored in three buildings right now and am not sure which ones are in which building... :oops: The Charitable Home for Indigent Poor Powersaws is in a phase of transition right now...
Magnus, did Elux buy Jonsereds in 1982?

PostPosted: Mar 8th, '12, 11:44 
Administrator

I think deal was finished and done 80/81 but started '79.
When Deal was made the Jonsered Brand was bought, but not Jonsereds Fabriker AB, they are active still today doing what they always done, tarp, machines but no saws or hand held stuff.
When last series Jonsereds saws was released (410/510/910) the brand was owned by Elux, but the saws were produced by Jonsereds as it was before purchace. The next models Elux was involved in and including this one.

PostPosted: Mar 8th, '12, 12:43 

I would call the saws up to the 2055 at least in the design a kind of "true" Jonsered saws, just because there is no Husqvarna pendant and it's also not a more or less red painted Partner 5000 like my 490...
Maybe they are influenced by Elux, in the way of sharing some parts with Husqvarna or other Elux saws. But isn't that a normal thing ? They even have Tillotson/Walbro carbs and Mahle or Kolbenschmidt cylinders, just like Stihls :mrgreen:
Max

PostPosted: Mar 8th, '12, 14:01 
Administrator

Stihl, Husqvarna, Jonsered, Partner were the four big competitors 1975-85 here were I live.
During this time it changed fast and left two; Stihl and Elux.

There is big differences in how the different brands wanted their products to be.
Before 1980, even more different.
Now they are very much the same.

PostPosted: Mar 9th, '12, 01:17 
Guardian Of Saws

Here's one more picture of the impulse line:

Attachment:
120308_04.jpg

I did as Magnus suggested, found a spring fitting in the rubber hose, pushed it in so it protects the bend from flattening.

Also bought a new chain for it today, standard Husqvarna, says H25 056E X on the box. Also got a new sprocket, this one has a 8 tooth, which Mats at Skog och Trädgård at first couldn't find, but then he found it on an old clutch drum up in the attic. Got it for free including the drum.

Also got the Homelite SXL-12 running again tonight, needed a carb kit, will get a new chain and also a clutch drum Magnus found for me last summer. On the old one someone had welded on a new sprocket, someone that should not have done that. Was out of center so it did not disengage fully.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.