Chainsaw Collectors.se

Chainsaw Collectors.se

This is a international forum in Eng.

It is currently Apr 23rd, '14, 15:22

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Wright reciprocating saws
PostPosted: Nov 18th, '08, 07:47 
Mr. Husqvarna

Me and Lewis Brander talked about Wright saw models, the blade ones. The names Rebel and Super Rebel are very interesting.
Question is: What model/models are called Rebel and what models Super Rebels?

So far we know (or think) that model 5020 is Rebel and 5020A is Super Rebel. But there is a model 5020 in library and it says
Super Rebel, posted by Caporal30. If this is the case that both models are Super Rebels, what is called just a Rebel?

What about the models 4520 or 2520.... ?

I think Old Mac Guy, Alain and you others could help us out here?

Last edited by Mikko on Nov 18th, '08, 10:53, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Wright reciprocating saws
PostPosted: Nov 18th, '08, 09:52 
Administrator

Good topic!

I know nothing of wright saws other than there was orenge red and white...

:doh:

PostPosted: Nov 18th, '08, 10:35 
Mr. Husqvarna

Yes, this is interesting. The reason I want to know this is I just got 3 Wright saws and I know one is
model GS-218. These two others I'm not sure... I'll post a pic later.

PostPosted: Nov 18th, '08, 15:21 
Collector Forum's Finest

Mikko wrote:
Me and Lewis Brander talked about Wright saw models, the blade ones. The names Rebel and Super Rebel are very interesting.
Question is: What model/models are called Rebel and what models Super Rebels?

So far we know (or think) that model 5020 is Rebel and 5020A is Super Rebel. But there is a model 5020 in library and it says
Super Rebel, posted by Caporal30. If this is the case that both models are Super Rebels, what is called just a Rebel?

What about the models 4520 or 2520.... ?

I think Old Mac Guy, Alain and you others could help us out here?

I thought a 2520 was a Rebel, and a 4520 was a Super Rebel. Maybe I need some schooling too.

Super 250

PostPosted: Nov 18th, '08, 16:19 
Collector Forum's Finest

I don't know much about them either .They pop up for sale sometimes in varied states of disrepair .

I really don't know what the selling point was ,perhaps safety of not having a revolving chain or something .It was claimed by some that you could cut into nail infested wood ,like perhaps a barn timber and not damage the blades but I can't testify to that fact .Could be another urban legion .

PostPosted: Nov 18th, '08, 16:47 
Collector Forum's Finest

I don't pretend to know that much about them. They were offered as a wood cutting saw, but think that mostly arborist/homeowners used them for trimming trees, cut small wood and for cutting laadscaping timbers, etc. There were some contractors that used them, sort of as a Saw-All to cut say a rough opening in a wall, etc. Then was told butchers used them with a fine blade to Quarter and cut up animals. Don't know just how many were produced, but think the idea of a reciprocating blade was some what of a novelty and fell out of favor fairly quickly and they went to the regular bar/chain saws. It would be interesting to have someone who actually sold the saws and had some literature and knowlege of then to speak here. For now everyone take care. Lewis.

Edited: For those of you that have the Wright saws, where do you find the Model and Serial numbers on them. Is it on the frame somewhere, on a tag or what. The saw I have, I've looked completely over and have never been able to tell for sure what it is. Just going by Mike's site and what others have said. Some models have differences in carburetors, muffler and the way cylinder fins look from one saw model, compaired to another. Just curious. Lewis.

PostPosted: Nov 18th, '08, 20:36 
Mr. Bow Saw!

PostPosted: Nov 18th, '08, 21:26 
Administrator

:D

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Nov 18th, '08, 22:12 
Collector Forum's Finest

Magnus wrote:
:D

Well there is our first clue. That one is the 2520 / 4520 body style. So one or both of those models is a Rebel. the 5020 is a different body style.

Super 250

PostPosted: Nov 19th, '08, 09:13 
Mr. Husqvarna

I agree, now we are getting somewhere. Magnus, can you get a better scan of that pic? Thanks!

PostPosted: Nov 19th, '08, 09:21 
Administrator

Not much better, it is a ad blown up and it will need better stuff than I have to get better.

PostPosted: Nov 19th, '08, 20:19 
Mr. Husqvarna

Lewis Brander wrote:
Edited: For those of you that have the Wright saws, where do you find the Model and Serial numbers on them. Is it on the frame somewhere, on a tag or what. The saw I have, I've looked completely over and have never been able to tell for sure what it is. Just going by Mike's site and what others have said. Some models have differences in carburetors, muffler and the way cylinder fins look from one saw model, compaired to another. Just curious. Lewis.

A million dollar question, who knows the answer... :roll: :roll: :roll:

PostPosted: Nov 20th, '08, 04:47 

Hey Guys! This is a pic of my GS-4520. The tag has come off the saw but I have it. The tag is a metal foil type that is stuck to the gas tank. This saw was given a carb rebuild and runs well. I stole a seal from one of my other two Wrights to help prop up the blade guide. The saw has been run at shows and the old guys tell me that one of its uses was in butchering because it did not make the mess a chainsaw would and didn't require electricity meat saws would require. Many times butchering was done more remote where power was not available. Some areas of the county to the south of me did not have electricity until 1962. This saw has a second cylinder with 2 rings that guides the blade and from my Intertec Publishing service manual of 1974 states that this piston is oiled from the bottom end as it also connected by rod to the crank. It is truely a direct drive. When you pull the recoil the blade is already moving. As for cutting wood, it is slow. My Homelite 26LCS is nearly twice as fast and my IEL RA is faster yet. It is important to realize that the blade only cuts on the back stroke. My blade was sharpened by a professional, it could lay your hand open just touching it. The saw is just slow. It can make finer carpentry cuts though as in construction work, like house or deck building. As for the Rebel name I will have to do more digging, I haven't seen this. I had a difficult time running the saw at first. I didn't know that the metal trigger has 2 positions. One is the idle and the other requires you to move the trigger to the side to ground the saw out to kill it. It has no other kill switches. I use a plastic spring clamp to hold the trigger wide open like a throttle detent. The service manual says that no lube is required on the blade but I baby it with spray lube anyway at shows. One of my other saws has the muffler incorporated into the foot you see ahead of this saw. It exhausts out a hole in front of the foot. Perhaps I can list the service specs from the service manual for all of these blade models. The early GS-218 used a modified Carter carb with a wick for upside down operation. Kind of neat I think. I'll post later. Deer season is upon us. See you, Steve King.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Nov 20th, '08, 06:44 
Mr. Husqvarna

Hi Steve and thank you for your post! Could you show us a pic of the ID tag and a pic from the other side
of this GS-4520, it looks very nice!

I talked to another collector here and he says Super Rebels has a bigger starter than Rebels. That is one way
to tell the difference but it doesn't tell you what is the model number.... Also the back handle is straightener
in Super Rebels.

PostPosted: Nov 20th, '08, 12:22 
Dr. Pignon

Hello, Mikko.
I just found your post about the Wright recip saws...
Both the model 4520 and the model 5020 were known as "Super Rebel"... and the IPL's for both those models shows part number 631555 "Name Plate, Super Rebel".
Curiously, I do not see that part shown on the IPL for the model 5020A... so I'll need to read further to see if that model was also called Super Rebel...
I THINK that the model 2520 was called "Rebel"... but will need to check one of the 2520's to verify that... and I THINK that the 2520 had a decal on the right side saying "Rebel"... but I don't find that in the IPL for that model. The 2520 does have two plates attached to the tank and shroud assembly (top cover)... one is on top and is called part number "631538 - Plate, Instruction"... and the other is on the right side of the top cover and is called part number "610599 - Tank, Fuel and Instruction Plate"...

I'll do some more looking and come back to this thread...