New Old Honey Delivery Truck

Old Mac Guy
Dr. Pignon

New Old Honey Delivery Truck

Post by Old Mac Guy » May 19th, '17, 19:59

Friday morning brought overcast and more rain!
Now at mid-day, the sky has cleared and the sun is shining.

I went Tuesday and spent my life savings except $3.25 and two old Indianhead pennies and bought a 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 pickup. Me and the dawgs might have to live on beans and cornbread for the next six months... but the old 1985 GMC van had broken down on the road too many miles from nowhere three times in the past year. Not good.

The Ram pickup has only 131K miles on it and appears to be in excellent mechanical condition... 5 very good Firestone tires on it... drives out great!... and everything on and in it works... drivetrain... body and all attachments... interior and exterior lights and flashers... all accessories, including the windshield washers, air conditioning and heater, and everything else. It's been well-maintained and only driven about 7200 miles per year.
99 Dodge Ram front.JPG
It has a good AM/FM radio cassette and I can once again play my Johnny Cash and Marty Robbins and Linda Ronstadt and Eagle and Grateful Dead and Trio Los Panchos and Musica y Folklorico de Chile tapes while on long day trips around the Southern Rockies! That's a big plus!

Much as I love this region's landscape, sometimes driving the same roads for the 437th time in the past 30 years become a little monotonous... and even spotting the solitary weathered old crooked cedar post in a 4-mile stretch of new shiny green metal fence posts on the west side of the Bell Ranch pasture can get old when done for the 18th time in the last 24 months...
99 Dodge Ram rear.JPG
Today or tomorrow, I have to deliver a load of honey to the stores and winery. I have the first group of 24 buckets loaded already. Pinto Bean wants to ride along... but it depends on whether he keeps his paws clean and dry...

The 11-month pup on the right will have to stay home in the pen with his three siblings... he still needs more time and maturity to work on Riding in the Truck and Meeting New People etiquette... Last time he rode with me on a 5-hour roundtrip drive, I let him out on leash, stopped to visit a bit with an acquaintance, and he lifted his leg and almost succeeded (but not quite, fortunately) in marking her as familiar property... :whistle:

totte
Guardian Of Saws
Country, City, Area: Sweden

Re: New Old Honey Delivery Truck

Post by totte » May 19th, '17, 20:48

Very nice vehicle Ken! May it serve you well, keep you safe and transport you and all honey and what else for many a good year. :thumbs: :sun:
If you get them, no matter how and why, guard them well!

Old Mac Guy
Dr. Pignon

Post by Old Mac Guy » May 20th, '17, 02:07

Thanks, Thor-Stun, for your benediction and all good wishes!

That brief hour of sunshine at mid-day, when I took those photos, has been the only clear sky we've had all day. A little bit later, it clouded up and began thunder and rain again... with colder temps... I had to bring that first bunch of buckets back inside. Liquid honey is temperature-sensitive. Let it get down to 50 dF and it can trigger the crystallization process... the super-saturated solution of sugars can begin coming out of solution and you get a solid from a liquid. Since 95% of people don't want to deal with solidified honey... and if they try to most likely end up affecting the quality, color, enzymes and taste of the honey in not good ways, looks like the first delivery run with this new old truck will be tomorrow in sunny 60-some dF weather. :sun:

Dow
Collector Forum's Finest
Country, City, Area: USA

Post by Dow » May 20th, '17, 05:58

Good looking truck OMG , you forgot Freddy Fender and the Texas Tornados :sun:

Dow

pete
Collector Forum's Finest

Post by pete » May 20th, '17, 06:12

nice lookin set of wheels ken should take a good load of firewood as well or do you have an old truck dedicated to wood collecting so if the honey candies can you bring it back with heat. As a kid my mum only bought candied honey so I never could understand the bears and Winnie the pooh licking up all this golden runny honey I think I was 11 or 12 the first time I saw the real stuff. Our old tubs of the candied stuff came in waxed cardboard tubs with a red plastic lid, it was really hard to spread.Locally we have a few beekeepers who sell direct and we pay about 10 to 12 dollars for a kilo tub.
AS LONG AS I DONT SEE MY NAME IN THE OBITUARIES IM HAPPY,AND IF A MAN IS BUSY HE DOESN"T HAVE TIME TO DIE

Old Mac Guy
Dr. Pignon

Post by Old Mac Guy » May 20th, '17, 09:13

Pete:
I use my Won-Ton flatbed for wood. Can load and unload logs from all three sides easily.
Yes, you can bring honey back into solution with heat. But anything over 105 dF begins to drive off volatile natural enzymes, most important of which are invertase and diastase, which aid human digestion and metabolization. At 140 dF, a large portion of those enzymes are gone and the natural pollen grains in the honey are killed. Excessive heat also darkens honey and affects flavor.

Very few American beekeepers can export honey into Japan because the Japanese test imported honey for those two enzymes and reject shipments which have low enzymes. I could, though... but have never had to look for a market beyond the local region. The market comes to me. Years ago I shipped a 5-gallon bucket to northern Italy 2-3 times. A German lady in the Alps had lived in Santa Fe and got to know my honey and insisted on getting it, even at high cost of shipping. Some guy from Qatar wanted to contract for my whole honey crop for export, but I told him no. For 48 years now, I've sold locally.

Dow:
Right!! And several others... the Russian Army Chorus!! If you've never heard them singing, you've missed some great music! I have one tape of them... and Rimski-Korsakof... and Brahms... Charlie Parker and Dizzy Gillespie... it's endless...

In 1977, Daniel Van Fleet the 6'3" Mohave Apache and I were at the 101st Annual Rosebud PowWow in Rosebud, SD. At sundown the first night, over in the arena the other side of the carnival midway, cotton candy, navajo tacos and deep-fried turkey drumsticks booths, after all day of rodeo and fancy dancing and the loudspeakers booming nothing but Lakota... all of a sudden... "Wasted Days and Wasted Ni-hi-ights"... Shure 'nuff! Freddy Fender! That was a big surprise! I never expected to see him there.