Make a post and say hello.

Make a thread and tell a bit about yourself and your interests.
totte
Guardian Of Saws
Country, City, Area: Sweden

Re: Make a post and say hello.

Post by totte » Jul 15th, '17, 20:04

Welcome Gareth!
Gareth wrote:
Jul 14th, '17, 15:21
scanning site i love it & will follow with great interest..
Hmm, bad signs, you are in the danger zone of getting the collecting disease. Better keep the saws you have, they probably already are in a collection :lol: Enjoy!

Torsten
If you get them, no matter how and why, guard them well!

becire
Country, City, Area: Napa,California USA

Post by becire » Jul 15th, '17, 23:20

Hi Torsten,
I have four very cool old saws that I am using in a few trial work presentations.
One is a Bradley Davis/ Sears Roebuck three sixty built in 1956 according to the serial number..compression is good.
Another is a Disston/Mercury do 100 I learned from this site from Magnus it was built in 1948 or 1049 (serial number #279611 if there are records out there.)
There is a 1960's looking little yellow gut I have not studied yet..the serial number plate was removed ~kind of suspicious eh?` So far I have a Holsten on the bottom of the carb. It has a strapped on cylinder tank on the back.. -my pics are too big to upload. I'll learn how to downsize them
The fourth is a two manned Mall #11. Assembly number 35440. That neat old guy had a free spinning transmission connected to the 40" bar.
-I heard it was when carburetors had a hard time turning around and not stalling.
The big one reminds me of the Bruce Springsteen song Born to Run. Looks like a suicide machine from here . :nono:
- few guys and I plan on tinkering and getting them running. It is a shame to watch them gather rust.

totte
Guardian Of Saws

Post by totte » Jul 16th, '17, 13:07

Some really good oldies, well worth restoring. "It is a shame to watch them gather rust." That's an attitude we like very much in here, old saws should be preserved as much as possible.

Would be nice to see some pics of them, when you got them downsized, and if we get a pic of that yellow one there's a good chance that it will be identified. It is not uncommon that serial plates are missing, saws get a lot of abuse, and serial plates are not always attached very well.

rogero
Country, City, Area: United States

Post by rogero » Jul 17th, '17, 01:18

Gareth & Eric
Welcome to the forum. This is a great site, I'm sure you will find hours of interesting chainsaw information that you never knew existed.

enjoy

RogerO

transmaniadevil
Country, City, Area: U.S.A. Naples N.Y. 14512

Post by transmaniadevil » Jul 19th, '17, 14:02

Hi guys my name is Joe and I'm new to this, I just picked up a David Bradley chainsaw Model # 917-61401 with a serial # 5010 I would like to find out as much information on this old saw because it is just so cool and a real monster. any help would be greatly appreciated.

totte
Guardian Of Saws

Post by totte » Jul 19th, '17, 18:33

Welcome Joe!

Here's some data about that saw, which was made by Craftsman, but rebadged as David Bradley.

http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.nsf/e ... enDocument

Enjoy the forum!

Torsten

rogero

Post by rogero » Jul 20th, '17, 06:54

Hi Joe and welcome. That saw is a monster at 31 pounds. Thanks for joining us and enjoy looking around the site.

RogerO

Vintage pioneer
Country, City, Area: Ottawa Canada

Post by Vintage pioneer » Aug 3rd, '17, 05:03

Hello my name is Christian. I'm new at the chainsaw bug but decided to take a leap of faith and purchased an IEL Pioneer HA HB at a swap meet for $10. The only thing that seems to be broken or in need of repair is the cord and possibly the points system. It was seized when I started to play with it but got it free after using a bit of penetrating oil. Seems like there is good compression but will need to do a full compression test to be sure that the rings aren't stuck. I didn't realize that there was actually a huge interest in vintage chainsaws. I rebuild old cars and motorcycles and figured what better challenge then something I've never worked on to keep me busy for a while. Hopefully I haven't gotten over my head but willing to give it a shot! The biggest question I'd have to start is where should I look first for any info or maintenance manuals that could come in handy for this rebuild? Can anyone set me in the right direction?
Thank you and looking forward to catch the bug!!

Old Mac Guy
Dr. Pignon

Post by Old Mac Guy » Aug 3rd, '17, 20:28

Hello, Christian.
:welcome: to the forum!

Look around the forum and you'll find sections on Literature, IPL's for Download, a link to Mike Acres' site for info on chainsaw makes and models, and Help section to ask members for help with ipl's and info on the old saws.

:cool:

totte
Guardian Of Saws

Post by totte » Aug 3rd, '17, 21:16

Vintage pioneer wrote:
Aug 3rd, '17, 05:03
Hopefully I haven't gotten over my head but willing to give it a shot!
Welcome Christian!

No, you have likely not got it over your head yet, but you will fellah, you will! :lol: In the end you'll sit there wondering why there is so much old scrap metal around you blocking out the sun, and all of it demanding you to try to make it produce smoke and awful sounds again. That said, enjoy the forum and good luck with the IEL. Very nice, IEL:s are among the finest of the real oldies.

Torsten

rogero

Post by rogero » Aug 5th, '17, 05:24

Christian
Thanks for joining us. This is a great site and I'm sure you will find everything you want to know along with hundreds of other things.

RogerO

ProMacBoy
Country, City, Area: Marysvile, OH, USA

Post by ProMacBoy » Aug 5th, '17, 07:20

Hello All!! My name is Brian. I have been working on small engines sense I could pick up a tool. LOVE CHAINSAWS!! Not sure why, but I do. Some saws I have enjoyed:
McCulloch
Husqvarna
Stihl
Montgomery Ward
Sears
Remington
BearCat
Roper
Vintage Homelite

rogero

Post by rogero » Aug 7th, '17, 00:19

Brian Welcome to Chainsaw Collectors
You have worked on more different brands of saws than me. With all your chainsaw experience you will have a party looking threw all the section of the Board Index.

Thanks for joining us

RogerO

totte
Guardian Of Saws

Post by totte » Aug 7th, '17, 12:28

Welcome Brian!

Well, that's a common problem for most of us, we love chainsaws but have considerable difficulties explaining why. On the other hand, does it matter? Just enjoy!

Torsten

bsells5683-12
Country, City, Area: Pasco, WA

Re: Husqvarna 1100 Family (1100CD,2100CD,2100XP,2101XP,285CD)

Post by bsells5683-12 » Aug 12th, '17, 07:19

Hi everyone! I am new to the chainsaw collectors page and am introducing myslef. I am a huge fan of the vintage husqvarna's and currently have a couple 2100cd's, a 266xp, a 266se and a 181se. I am really trying to find a good clean 2101xp. Can anyone point me in the right direction?? Brandon 509-713-5291. I live in Washington state.